Wednesday 16 April 2014

Muppets Most Wanted Review - When did Muppets become all about the celebrity cameos ??


Spoilers below don't read on if you haven't seen the movie

So I watched the new muppets film today and what I came to realise about 30 minutes into the film I was just counting the celebrity cameos and musical numbers. Which I have nothing wrong with music in films and love a good sing song when watching a film but when you have a song where you could easily just speak the words instead it gets a bit annoying. I don't want to sound boring and have people moaning how can you not like the muppets. I like the muppets but I like it when we have a film that's about the muppets and not about Ricky Gervais and the rest of the celebrities that you cram into a movie. 

So the film is set basically seconds after the first film reboot where they sing and dance about having been given a sequel and I thought yeah this is what I like to see this is going to be fun. Then Ricky Gervais came into the film acting like the condescending and sarcastic man that he plays best himself, well I say that it felt more like watching David Brent from the office with the cast of the Office. With a surname in the film such as BadGuy I knew what to expect from the film faceplaming and sighing every time that he turned up on screen. So surprise surprise only turns out that he's a baddie in the film never saw that one coming. He's number 2 and sidekick if you like to Consantine the most evil frog in the world who's a jewl theif that has escaped from prison and replaces Kermit in the muppets as Kermit has a beauty spot slapped on his face and thrown in prison as Constantine. So normal sort of storyline for the muppets really nothing over exciting but something that you would expect from them fun and worth watching. See the thing is I just wish that i could say that about this film but I can't I really can't I didn't at any point in this film feel like I was having fun or really laughing during the film. Well I won't say that the last half of the movie is a lot stronger and starts to hit the marks that they try and go for I mean we have a muppets wedding how can you not get excited for that. So Mr Gervais send the muppets on a tour of Europe as they play to massive crowds of people Constantine steals the jewels from the museum next door to the theatres that they play in. Thier big prize being the stealing of the Crown Jewels in London you know the score typical heist style film just with the muppets. 

So I have three main points why I feel that this film doesn't work and why I just didn't have fun with this movie and it pains me to say it because I love the muppets and loved the first one. The first point is that the celebrity cameos in this film are so bad and there are so many that I can't even begin to remember all of the celebrity's that appear in the film. At least with the first one most of the celebrity's appeared at the end of the movie in the credits scene that's fun and funny and is what you expect. What you don't expect is to see P Diddy on the train with the muppets playing poker for no reason he has no reason to be in the story and never shows up again. Why, why have him in the movie then what do they bring to the film it didn't make me smile or laugh it just made me cringe and ask why when did you rely on cameos for cheap laughs. Your the muppets some of the funniest jokes in this movie are when the muppets do or say something stupid it's fun and funny. Come on who doesn't love a joke from Fozzy Bear or Gonzo being fired out of a cannon and for it not to work and he ends up on fire. It's funny and makes you laugh every time what's not funny is a pig asking for the usher at miss piggys wedding and for the Usher to be Usher. It's just cheap puns and laughs and it doesn't bring anything to the film it just makes it worse. If your going to make a great muppet movie then have celebrity's in the film because that's what you would expect from their show all those years ago but what I don't like is cheap gags based on puns and cheap laughs. 

My second point is the muppets aren't the muppets without Kermit and having Kermit away from the rest of the gang for most of the film it just doesn't work. This film is very Kermit centric which I like and it is probably one of the strong points about the film but it doesn't work when he's not with the gang. The muppets don't work unless all of the team are together and in this case it's just even worse when Constantineis replacing Kermit in the film and while he's funny and all he certainly ain't no Kermit. I guess he's the only thing that saves the film in a lot of ways he's the only character that I actually enjoyed in the film he's funny when he's on his own watching old tapes of Kermit. But then Constatine doesn't work also when he's with Ricky it just becomes this really bad comedy double act that you would expect at some cheap comedy fair. 

Then the final point is the film just isn't funny it's lost all it's charm that made the film funny and sweet and made you fall in love with the characters. I don't know if the joke about this film is that because thier famous again all celebrities want to work with them because if it is then it might make the film work a bit better. The cheap gags are just everywhere cheap puns and laughs about celebs and it becomes point out the celeb in this scene affair because I can garuntee that their is a celeb in almost every scene of the movie making a cameo. 

So onto my only thing about the film that I did really like about the film the final 20 minutes of the film are very strong and work very well. It's funny and feels like what a muppet movie should be like i said before who doesn't want to watch a muppets wedding. Watching Walter, animal and Fozzy go and rescue Kermit is hilarious and it's something that you come to expect from the film whatchig them all make thier great escape. But it just saddens me that it's the only really funny part of the film because I found while watching the film that they set up Walter as this new muppet in the previous film and then hardly use him in this film. I don't see the point in setting up a new muppet and then not putting them to use in the sequel. Also we do get the odd good musical number in the movie which is always good to see nothing up to the standards of am I a man or a muppet but still great. What's great to see no matter how much I didn't like the film is that there was still some of the old charm about the muppets in the film. 

Overall I didn't really find this film enjoyable in anyway which I guess isn't hard to guess after reading this and I am sorry to say that i didn't like the film. I also found it hard writing this review because I couldn't hardly find anything good to say about the movie and I really didn't want the whole review being a rant about the film. Which I guess is what it turned into. It just brings me back to a previous post that I did about Disney and thier poorly brought out sequels which I would recommend and that you have a look AT&T as you will see where I'm coming from. 

Follow me:

Twitter: Liam beardednerd

YouTube: Liam thebeardednerd 

Roobla.com


No comments:

Post a Comment